I am the first guest artist for The Documented Life Project 2015...eeek!! and in case you have not been here before,
Welcome, I am Stephanie Ackerman.
I want to thank you right now for visiting because I am so excited that I may forget to thank you at the end of this post. I also want to thank the amazing ladies who created this entire project. I am blessed to call them friends and I secretly call myself the 6th in the Art to the 5th Group.
Okay, so here is the prompt for this week:
The art challenge for this week is WRITING, and the prompt is WORDS WITH FRIENDS. Honestly, I was a little stumped about the "Words with Friends" part so I completely forgot about the "Writing" challenge. Make sure that you read all of my rambling until the very end so that you can see how I tied all of this together.
P.S. This is a lengthy post so grab a cup of coffee, get comfy, sit back and enjoy!
"Words With Friends"
Seeing that it is the beginning of a new year and everybody seems to be choosing a word based on Ali's "One Little Word" concept, I thought I would reach out to my friends and see what their words were. This turned out to be super fun and I encourage you to try this. I started with a simple text to a bunch of my friends:
I had the best time seeing the photos come in with their words...but now what? Well, to be honest, I was not sure so I opened up my journal and started to create a background. I know how my creative mind works so I knew that at some point, an idea would come.
In my Dylusions journal I adhered a layer of old book paper, receipts and invoices to my pages using Glue & Seal. Before I dried it, I added a thin coat of Gesso using an old gift card and then a light layer of Distress paint. I dried my surface and added little clusters of washi tape around the layout to break up the pages and to add a little color:
Next I die cut a bunch of Post-It notes into the shape of a little hanging tag. (One for each of my friends words) and I placed all of the definitions around the pages. Once I got them all placed, I adhered them down and dried the entire surface.
Then I added a little Post It tag close to each definition: At this point I was still not sure where I was going with this but just went with the flow. I grabbed a bottle of Broken China Distress paint and using the dabber and my finger, I added a little paint to the page and smeared it around. I was not being careful and I was okay with getting paint on the Post It tags, the definitions and the Washi Tape.
TIP: If at any time you feel like you have a little too much of something, grab a baby wipe and wipe away.
I decided to add a little more color so I smudged in a little Barn Door Distress Paint. I used a little alphabet stamp set to stamp out each "word" on the tag next to the definition:
I decided I did not like the tags so I took them off and set them to the side. This type of thing is normal for me and I just figured that I would use them on something different so I did not immediately throw them out. Once the tags were gone, I knew what I needed.
I cut out little hearts from old book paper and added them next to the definition. One heart for each one of my friends.
Using my pointer finger and some Liqutex Basics Acrylic paint in Cadmium Red Deep Hue, I smudged in color to each heart and dried them. I added in some depth and shadows around each heart and a few places on the pages using a Black Soot Distress Pen. You can look back and forth between the photos and see what a huge difference just a little smudge here and there makes. So I have a heart for each one of my friends, a definaition of their word and a pile of cute little distressed tags over to the side.
This is when several things started to come together but I still had to mix in the "writing" and I was thinking in terms of writing letters...NOT hand lettering. Should I be "doodling" and doing hand lettering on my pages?
Not necessarily and THIS is one of the reasons why The Documented Life Project is so awesome. It means different things to each one of us so here is what I did:
- I adhered an old library card pocket to my page and using the same paints, stamp and supplies that I used for the background of my layout, I blended in the library pocket to my page.
- I grabbed my pile of Post-Its and adhered them onto larger tags and placed them in the pocket for safe keeping. Each one of the tags has a word and the name of my friend that sent it to me. When I first requested them to send me a word, some sent me photos of them holding their word so I printed out each one of those photos and also adhered that to the tag.
Here is where the "writing" challenge ties in. I decided that I was not going to actually write on my pages but write a note to each one of my friends and send them the tag with their word and the photo on it as a reminder for them to focus on that word. Because my friends words inspired the entire background for my pages
I think that this is when my heart exploded and the project came full circle.
You may feel a bit overwhelmed by the "pin ball machine" way I create because I do bounce back and forth a bit, but please don't be. My purpose is to encourage and inspire you to use what you have, think outside the box a bit and to enjoy the creative process.
Thanks so much for sticking with me through this entire post and thank you again to the fab 5 for inviting me to be part of this awesome project. If something I shared here inspired you, I would LOVE to see your work so please either tag me on your FB or IG photos or email me at homegrown1(at)att(dot)net.