I win the bad blogger award because I was black hawk down with no camera.
My camera died in Pennsylvania and like a good & patient girl, I waited until the black Friday sales to see what I could find. PEOPLE...that was ALOT of days with no camera...but I am back in business. The slight problem is I find myself very hesitant to pick it up with my inky, painty, glue-n-sealy fingers so the cross I just re-purposed...did not get alot of step by step photos.Here is all I got for ya:
1. I took the hardware off by simply placing a screwdriver under it and gently popped it off...super easy! I left the little pookies there so that I could pop it back on when I was done.
2. I used Picket Fence Crackle Paint by Tim Holtz/Ranger and brushed it lightly over the entire cross and base to add a crackle (duh!) but to also add that wood-grainish texture to it. (NOTE: the entire process was very similar to the Faux Woodgrain Finish I did on the frame HERE)
3. I dried the Crackle and then added Pewter Distress Stain over the surface which gave it a slight pink tinge & I did not like where it was going so I wiped it off with a baby wipe and added another layer of white..JUST HERE & THERE to add to the texture. Then using brown acrylic paint on a DRY paper towel, I simply swiped the paint over the surface applying different amounts of pressure. This made it so some spots were darker than others. I repeated this until I achieved the look I wanted. It really was that easy. I did however have a baby wipe on standby to wipe off any spots that were to heavy.
To change the metal embellishment from purple and orange :all I did was dry brush over the purple paint with red acrylic paint, and gold paint over the orange. Then using the White Picket Fence Crackle, I LIGHTLY brushed over the leaves and petals, dried it and popped it back on. I am pretty sure I hear angels sing when I look at it. and if you are wondering...I did call the other Aaron Brothers in our area to find more crosses and there are none.boo.