I posted a picture to Instagram & FB yesterday from church (before it started!) with the caption "I feel a lot of note taking coming on" and man, was I right. Then I saw all of the responses to share and thought I would tie it into today's list.
The name of the sermon was called "How To Keep From Stressing Out." (part 8 of the series "The Habits of Happiness" which you can watch online here)
So, today's list. I used one of my pads, "Just Stuff" to create my list and I have a ton of notes to go along with my list bullet points so you should get some coffee, put your phone down, grab a pen and paper and get comfortable. oh..and it's not "Just Stuff," it is Just (really important) Stuff.
First I wrote out all of the bullet points and then as I thought about them, I doodled away on the sheet.
Then as I colored in my page, I thought about the things we learned and some key points and notes I took:
1. Refuse To Worry About Anything.
- It is NOT EASY to worry about nothing. We worry about our jobs, our money, our relationships, our diet, what the media says..on and on and on. Here is something to remember - worry EXAGGERATES the problem and worry DOES NOT WORK.
- Worry is unreasonable, unnatural, unhelpful and simply unnecessary.
Personal Thoughts - Growing up, I worried about everything. e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g to the point that yep, I worried myself sick. I worried about being worried. This is why I know that it is NOT EASY to not worry. It has taken me a long time, many many years, to get to the point where I don't worry "as much." I still worry and that is something that I am steadily working on. I LOVE the phrase "The Peace that Passes Understanding" for me, that is a beautiful thing, something I have felt and something I want to continue to strive for.
"Unload all of your worries on God since He is looking after you" 1 Peter 5:7
2. Talk to God About Everything
- It's called prayer. Don't panic, just pray. Another hard one that takes discipline. I am a terrible rambling "pray-er." I have said a million times to my "blessed friends" that I can't pray out loud because only God understands my rambling. The point is to do it. PUSH through...Pray Until Something Happens...and then keep praying!
"Never worry about anything. Instead in every situation let God know what you need in your prayers and requests" Phil 4:6
3. Thank God In All Things
- KEY POINT - Thank God IN all things, not FOR all things. This is where most everyone gets things mixed up. This is another phrase that I love "All Things" and quiet possibly will become a tattoo, maybe.
- Thankful hearts. We need to change our hearts. We need to be more thankful, simple as that.
4. Think About Good Things
- The world is full of scandal, corruption, conflict, controversy, drama, _____________, _______________ and then it is made into reality shows, written about in magazines, discussed on talk shows, reported on TMZ, etc. No wonder it is hard to stay focused on what is true...and not everything we "think" is true, I will say it again, NOT EVERYTHING "WE THINK" IS TRUE. I know, I know, everyone has their own opinions but the way opinions are "shared" is not always right either. I am going to stop here.
- Here is the most simple thing to do in a situation where you need an answer. Ask yourself these things: Is it good? Is it worthy of praise? Is it true? Is it honorable? Is it right? pure? beautiful? respected?
5. Be Content With Anything
Contentment is learned, which means we need to practice it. This is a big one especially when the tv is on. Here is the key point: I must enjoy what I have NOW and stop waiting for something to happen in order to be happy.
BE HAPPY NOW..and how do you do that?
- STOP comparing.
- STOP thinking that having more will make you more important, more happy and more secure.
- Learn to ADMIRE without having to ACQUIRE. LOVE THIS ONE! Just because you "enjoy" something does not mean you have to have it!
- MY HAPPINESS IS NOT DEPENDANT ON MY HAPPENINGS.
So there ya have it. I think I worked up a nervous sweat just retyping all of this. Sorry if there are run-on sentences, misspellings and that kinda junk. Every time I reread the draft, I start typing more.
NOTE TO SELF: This stuff needs to be applied and reapplied like sunscreen, at least every hour..continuously.
Now it is your turn.
Either write your own list based on the things above, print out my list Download Justreallyimportantstuff and make your own notes or print out my list, doodle on it, think about it, color it and then work on it.
This isn't just stuff..it is very important stuff.